Thinking out loud

Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Kite Runner

Just finished reading "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. Depressing novel. A nice one, but depressing. We all heard about the hardships in Afghanistan but the graphic detail in which Hosseini describes the madness that persisted in Afghanistan for so long left me numb. Its hard to believe that this is happening on the same planet we inhabit and by creatures who are supposedly members of my own species. We live such insulated lives while the world seems to be burning everywhere. Except from a few notable exceptions (which may also be hiding a lot of secrets, such as China) cruelty and insanity seems to be the norm. We still sit in our offices and labs and think that building better search engines will somehow fix the world. Will it? What else can one do?

5 Comments:

  • Parijat, the Kite Runner is a beautiful book. One of my favorites too. I read it on my way to an exam once, I cried in the bus. No, i'm not the kind who cries at the drop of a hat.

    What do you think can improve the world?

    Btw, if you're making a search engine, can we have something less intrusive than google? google is like a pesky, interfering, nosy neighbour.

    By Blogger Selma Mirza, at 12:32 AM  

  • What can improve the world? I wish I knew. There was perhaps a time when I did and believed it could be improved, and I mean really really be improved. Unfortunately, as I grow older and meet more people and realise how rigid they are in their points of view (much as I probably am), I find it hard to imagine changing the minds of a billion, perhaps more, people of the world. Many of whom speak a different language, have different cultures. If history is anything to go by, I don't see a utopia being created anytime soon.

    By Blogger Parijat, at 11:34 AM  

  • now I know you've read the book.
    When are you passing it on to me?

    By Blogger Bridget Jones, at 12:46 PM  

  • I'm reading Kite Runner and Selma pointed me here. I wrote about it too. See here if you have the time. http://nrambles.blogspot.com/2006/06/like-sip-of-wine.html#comments

    By Blogger n, at 11:13 AM  

  • funny. we even have the same template :D

    By Blogger n, at 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home