Thinking out loud

Monday, June 19, 2006

The Sky Rumbled....

An old e-diary reveals that I wrote the following on 27th September, 2004. I still remember that evening. It was one of those days when I get confused whether to feel elated or depressed. It seems I had chosen to be depressed that day. Some of it sounds cliched now, but who can help it. :)



It was cloudy today and the sky was blood red. The country is bleeding and the stars are witness. The country mourns silently. There is not one voice but a murmur of pain and discontent. Its grows louder and the sky rumbles in reponse. A crack of lightening, as if demanding some answers.

A beautiful country torn by a hundred worries. What man can understand, or even hope to understand her completely. Every part is distinct. Every part speaks its own language.

The country looks older than its 58 years. Its back bent, almost broken with misery. Yet somehow its people find the energy to celebrate its umpteen festivals with joy. Perhaps thats the only time they get to forget their sorrows.

Yet their eyes are alight with fire. There is hope. 'Hope', which has kept them going for so long. They work with the hope of a better tomorrow. Yet they choose their leaders going by a few favours for today. But who can blame them. Every day is a struggle to keep away the shadow of despair. Even the promise of a brighter tomorrow is enough. We've learnt to live on hope. A hope which would be difficult to fulfil even for the smartest and most dedicated of men. And despite that, who do we have making those promises?

The sky rumbled today, as if demanding an answer - for how long?
We've been eaten away from the inside and yet we put up a farce of strength. For how long will this go on. We have a lot of strength. But that strength comes from the people in this country. The farmer in his fields, and scientist in his laboratory, the miner in the coal mine and the doctor in the hospital.

We have today more politicians than we probably ever had, and fewer moral principles than ever. We have more political parties, and less patriotism. We have more celebrities and fewer heros. We have more engineering colleges and probably fewer dedicated students. We have more schools and lesser real learning. We think sixteen year olds driving Ford Ikon's is national progress. We think greater number of Finnish cell phones in the country signify economic growth.

The sky rumbled today, as if demanding an answer - who?
Who will take up the responsibility to fix this. "I would", I said, "but what can I do." The rumbling ceased and a voice said. Excel at what you do. And wherever you go, remember that you're a product of this country. You are today what you are, because of the poor sweeper who sweeps the roads for an annual wage you wish to earn in a week. You are today what you are, because somebody decided to plant a tree whose shade they'd never enjoy. Your progress depends on the progress of this country and its doom is your doom.

"It is difficult I said. How will I sustain my energy?"
"Every time you feel weak",said the sky, "talk to me. I have seen a lot. I have seen men die for this cause. I will tell you about them. I have seen the world and there is no place as beautiful as this. I will show you what you're working for."

"I am so insignificant. How will I alone make a difference."
At this the sky smiled. He said, "take a look at the north star. It once asked me the same question."

"I promise", said I; and the sky wept for joy.

7 Comments:

  • You've been reading old diary entries too? Itn't it a fun-sad thing to do? You never know whether you'll cry along with your old self or be amused by its mobid self fascination and indulgence, usually resulting in the 'depressed' moods.
    I read my old diary too. See here. http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=24186538&postID=115038408548630942

    By Blogger n, at 7:50 AM  

  • Beautifully expressed thoughts...

    Quite remarkable that many of us look to the sky when trying to find answers, hope, strength...

    By Blogger Sabarish Sasidharan, at 8:23 AM  

  • my source of energy is sun.... and at times the moon... soft yet strong

    ~excellent, inspiring piece :)

    By Blogger Adi Oso-Groot Finch, at 1:30 AM  

  • n: I actually never wrote a personal diary. I tried doing so on atleast three different ocassions and tore them up about 3 days later. I find them silly... even as quickly as 3 days later. Some other stuff, like this one, I wrote like a third person or something, watching myself from away. Such stuff I put away and only came across it when I was trying to find an entry from Anne Frank's diary in my collection...

    Yes... reading one's old diaries can be a bitter-sweet experience.

    By Blogger Parijat, at 12:10 PM  

  • beauty! :)

    Ankur

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:57 AM  

  • Very well written and pretty inspiring. I wish I could write this well :)

    By Blogger Rahul, at 12:40 PM  

  • ohk...this one is too a wonderful one....ur writing can actually help find answers to many questions!! i too remember pondering over things like how can i make a difference to this world...may be once i will resolve all such queries...or have resolved a few :)
    btw ur blog makes a good read for a break from office work... so keep writing :)

    By Blogger pragyag, at 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home